Start a new topic

HDMI Switch causing feed loss on Teradek Vidiu

I need some advice.  I'm trying to set up a HDMI switch so that I can alternate between the camera feed and the computer feed, so those at home can see both.  Right now we have to point the camera at the TVs, which isn't optimal.  

I've attached a diagram of my current setup.  Let me know if anything with that looks wrong or needs changed.  Inside the building, everything works great.  But when I switch between feeds, the Teradek Video loses the signal, even though it's brief, and drops the Live Feed.  Do you have any recommendations?  Perhaps another HDMI switch that won't cause the Teradek to lose the feed?  Thanks!
pdf

Glen, I would personally suggest trying a "seamless" HDMI switch or you could try what I use, Sewell Crossbolt HDMI switcher, not a seamless one, but still seems to switch fast enough to not lose signal to the encoder (although I'm not using a teradek)

I found a seamless switch at a reasonable price and that stopped the video from being dropped.  It's a Goronya HDMI 4X1 Quad Multi-Viewer Splitter.   

Thanks for your advice. 

Update, looks like the Sewell Crossbolt HDMI switcher is still freezing the encoder and/or stream when switching sources sometimes. Had anyone tried a truly seamless HDMI switcher to see the difference?
Thanks Glen, I've had my eye on that switcher also. Can you keep me posted on if it continues to work fine for you. Also when doing a side by side (2 images) how does it look?

Sure, I'll keep you posted.  So far we've used the Goronya switcher for two meetings with no issues.  The switcher can do up to 4 HDMI inputs.  We are using only two, the camera feed and computer feed.  It's nice to know that if the person running things accidentally presses the button for either the 3rd or 4th feed, the switcher outputs a black screen and there is no drop in signal.  

The side-by-side 50/50 image work fine, but I doubt we'll use it much.  You have a ton of picture-in-picture options on the remote, but to get to the one you want, you have to cycle through all of them.  That would be too distracting for those watching from home.

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered one too. So you know if the 50/50 split stretches the input vertically, or does it correct with top and bottom black bars for proper screen ratio?

I don't recall seeing any black bars and some of the split options resulted in distorted/stretched views.  Again, we decided not to use that feature because there is no quick way to get to the split you want without cycling through all of them.  For the person watching at home, this would be frustrating I'm sure having to watch us cycle through.  

Trying a J-Tech multiviewer with seamless switch next... The goronya was either not compatible with my encoder or just defective because it went haywire on most settings.

We had some trouble with the Goronya at first.  Every time I connected it to my HDMI splitter, the wall-mounted TVs went dark and got no signal from the HDMI splitter.  I found out that the issue was the HDMI splitter.  I replaced it with a higher powered 4K HDMI splitter and everything worked perfectly.

I figured out my problem with the Goronya, I had my camera at at 30fps, changed it to 60fps and now the switcher works great! In case anyone is curious, the J-Tech also works, but it shows white bars between each image to separate and also has the channel # and resolution on each screen and that stays on the screen the whole time, which I didn't like.
I also need to purchase a switcher that doesn't bork the video feed.  The Goronya I have bookmarked on Amazon and was wondering how the J-Tech worked out for Matthew.

We have a somewhat unique situation with a clean room that has its own monitor.  We do not currently broadcast video to the internet, but we do send video to the clean room monitor from a camera in the main hall.  Whenever we switch from camera feed to PC, the PC "detects" (which enumerates devices) which causes us to have to close JW Library and re-open it before it will work properly.  Very annoying.

Thanks for the information, this is very helpful.  One last question I was wondering if, when you switch video sources (PC/Camera) using the Goronya, is there any handshaking at all or is the switch instantaneous?  Does it do any kind of fadeout and fadein for a smooth transition?  (ok I guess that's two questions...)

Thanks!

It's instantaneous and there is no transition.

Login or Signup to post a comment